You are here
Custom URLs and JumpStarts Guide
Need additional assistance updating or troubleshooting your custom URLs and jumpstarts? Please contact us!
Custom URLs can be manually created to direct users to a particular EBSCO database using the Database Short Name List (Product Codes).
Most organisations use the basic EBSCO URLs but you can construct more complex URLs that direct patrons to a specific profile (eg. remote users) to collect statistics on that group or specify a particular type of authentication (eg. referrer url authentication).
If you are creating complex links we recommend using the EBSCO Direct URL Builder below instead of manually creating them.
- Use the EBSCO Direct URL Builder to quickly & easily construct direct URLs with the correct authentication: http://support.epnet.com/eit/urlb.php
- Don't know your EBSCO Customer ID? Check-out your EBSCOAdmin or contact us for assistance using the builder.
You can also create permanent or persistent links to EBSCO articles, journal titles or custom searches.
- Create a permanent link to EBSCO articles, journal titles and custom search links or boxes (using the EBSCOHost Search Box Builder). Your link may also include your proxy URL at the beginning.
Most organisations use the basic OVID URLs but you can manually construct more complex URLs that direct patrons to a specific set of databases or search interface (eg. Advanced Search). Please note that elements of OVID jumpstart URLs are case-sensitive.
- For example, construct a link to OVID MEDLINE (1948 to Present) & MEDLINE (Daily Update) that uses the Advanced Search and skips the News screen to start on the main page.
Base URL: Advanced Search: News Screen (No): Main Search Page: Database Short Name(s): http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS &MODE=ovid &NEWS=n &PAGE=main &D=mesz,mesx Complete Custom URL: http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&MODE=ovid&NEWS=n&PAGE=main&D=mes...
You can also create permanent OVID URLs to full-text articles, custom searches, saved searches, journal issue lists, issue table of contents and browseable categories using OVID's guides and Email Jumpstart feature.
- Use the Ovid Jumpstart Utility to create custom jumpstarts to Ovid Journals & Ovid Books (leave the Username/Password blank for IP or Ezproxy authentication).
- To create a permanent link to a full-text article within OVID use the Email Jumpstart or Email PDF Jumpstart option displayed below. Email or copy and paste the jumpstart URL.