You are here
Become a Member
Value of Participation
Benefits of joining eHLbc and gaining access to valuable health resources:
- Substantial savings: members receive excellent discounts off resource list prices, resulting in significant savings.
- Stable pricing: Costs for highly-sought health resources are set for three years; institutions can budget accordingly.
- Freed funds: Institutions can devote savings resulting from licensing through eHLbc to other resources that meet the unique needs of their users.
- Time saved: Central negotiations by experienced eHLbc staff save members' time that can be directed to other institutional endeavours.
- Convenient, equitable access: Patrons and staff of member institutions' have 24/7 access to health resources from on and off site locations; students and health practitioners have continuity of access to the best health research as they move from education to practice and back again.
Recent Snapshot of eHLbc Accomplishments
- 500,000+ students, researchers, and practitioners benefit from 24/7 online access to reliable, quality health information.
- 20+ licensed health resources negotiated by eHLbc staff and made available to member institutions for individual selection and subscription.
- Cost savings of $4.9 million achieved for members through group purchase discounts for resources.
- For $5.00, students, researchers, and practitioners have access to a full year of health resources.
- An average price increase of 2% for all licensed resources.
Categories of Membership
There are two categories of membership:
- Full Members: include the institutions who founded the consortium in 2006.
- Affiliate Members: include post-secondary institutions and health organizations operating in BC or Yukon.
See Benefits & Responsibilities for a detailed look at the opportunities and privileges associated with eHLbc membership.
- eHLbc Affiliate Membership allows member institutions to claim "affiliation" status with eHLbc. Affiliation status does not extend to BC ELN, who serves as eHLbc's administrative centre, or to the host site, Simon Fraser University.
All organizations accepted to be eHLbc Affiliate Members are required to pay the following annual fees:
- The annual affiliate membership fee is approximately $0.31 per FTE or headcount (with a min./max. of $650/$1,000) for the 2018-2022 Core Suite license period.
- There is a stepped fee increase during the 2018-2022 license period.
- The Steering Committee reviews the membership fee every four years, preceding the Core Suite renewal.
Core Suite License Fee
- Subscription to the Core Suite is a requirement of eHLbc membership.
- Affiliate Members have the option of subscribing to the EBSCO portion of the Core Suite (six resources), the Ovid portion of the Core Suite (three resources), or the full Core Suite (nine resources).
- The annual fee for the four-year Core Suite license period is reviewed and approved by the Steering Committee prior to the Core Suite renewal.
- Contact the Administrative Centre for current fees.
Boutique License Fee
- Subscribing to eHLbc's Boutique Resources is optional.
- Boutique resources are annual opt-in/opt-out licenes, provided on a cost-recovery basis.
- No additional administrative fees are levied for Boutique Resources.
- Invoices for Boutique Resources are sent out several times a year.
Applying for Membership
The Administrative Centre will review your application and then send it to the Management Committee to formally approve your application for affiliate membership.